Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Compromises from this week's Ethicist

When I read this week's Ethicist, I kept coming up with ideas for compromises.

My husband’s sister died recently, after a short, unhappy life. In her will, she asked that her ashes be scattered in the ocean near a place she lived during one of the brief happy times of her adult life. Instead, my mother-in-law interred the ashes in a family plot near her home, saying that she needed a focal point for her grief. I realize that life is for the living, and none of us believe that my sister-in-law is watching the proceedings from on high. But I nevertheless feel viscerally appalled by this cavalier contravention of her last wishes. Am I right to be upset? Do we have ethical obligations to the dead? NAME WITHHELD
I wonder if a reasonable compromise if a survivor wants to keep ashes but the deceased wanted them scattered would be for the survivor to keep them for the time being and to provide in their will for the disposition of the ashes in accordance with the deceased's wishes.  Interring them wouldn't be appropriate, but what if the mother kept them in an urn on the mantelpiece for the rest of her life, and then stated in her own will that they were to be scattered in the ocean per her daugther's wishes?

I am a librarian at a large public university. Our library administrators, following a current fad, plan to radically ‘‘downsize’’ the library collection (i.e. throw out a lot of books). Essentially, anything in the general collection that hasn’t been checked out in the past few years is going straight to the trash-hauling bin. I believe that this poorly planned weeding project will do serious damage to a very valuable public resource and that if local researchers knew the scope of devastation underway, they would have strong objections. I have been outspoken enough about my opinion to be in hot water with said administrators. Do I have an ethical responsibility to persist in whistle-blowing? How much personal trouble am I ethically obliged to cause for myself in order to oppose an administrative decision that I believe is not just damaging to our organizational mission but stupid and wrong? NAME WITHHELD
What if, before throwing out the books, they attempted to give them away?  Inform the university community and any other networks of local researchers, and let them salvage whatever they want before it goes straight to the dumpster.  That's not to say that doing this would completely mitigate any detrimental impact, but, from a purely pragmatic perspective, LW's employers may well be more receptive to "Here's a zero-cost way to improve the optics of our plan while better fulfilling our mandate!" than they would be to "No, your plan is bad and wrong! Don't do it!"

2 comments:

laura k said...

I'd love to talk to that library LW. I wonder if the library is really throwing books away with no attempt to donate or sell them. I'd also like to ask the LW how her/his library would handle the acquisition of new materials when, at some point, they have literally no room on their shelves. Whistleblower, ha! More like hoarder, I'm guessing.

impudent strumpet said...

My first thought when reading the letter (despite the explicit statements to the contrary contained in the letter) was that it was a Canadian federal government library.

Your mention of shelf space makes me wonder if that's why the Toronto library has recently and annoyingly not been acquiring print copies of every title. Which would be particularly irksome, because in a recent renovation of my local branch, they switched to shorter shelves. I did notice a correlation between the renovation and the beginning of my difficulty finding absolutely everything I was ever looking for (although, in fairness, it also correlates with a number of other political, economic and technological developments.) But the thought occurs to me: what if the solution to the shelf space problem is bigger shelves?

Which suddenly tangents me onto another idea that will be a separate post.