Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Excellent customer service from Rexall (but, unfortunately, subpar umbrellas)

I grabbed a black umbrella at Rexall because they were calling for rain the day we scattered my grandmother's ashes, and I thought my usual coloured umbrellas would be inappropriate for a cemetery. But when I went to open it at the cemetery, it refused to open and the handle just came off in my hand. Multiple people all tried to open it, and no one succeeded. Fortunately I was able to borrow an umbrella, or I would have gotten wet!

I took it back to Rexall (fortunately I still had the receipt and the label with the barcode, although the label was torn.)  The cashier tried to open it, had the same problem, and then promptly and cheerfully gave me a full refund, all while expressing concern that she hoped I hadn't gotten too wet.

Unfortunately, I've had problems with every umbrella I've ever bought from Rexall. They used to have these cheerful yellow ones that I adored, but they'd always break within just a couple of months - and not even from blowing inside out, just from opening and closing and being in my purse.  I've never once been satisfied with the quality and longevity of an umbrella I bought there.

However, I am very satisfied with their customer service, so I will send more of my non-umbrella business their way.


3 comments:

laura k said...

If you ever find a place that sells decent umbrellas, please let me know. Every umbrella I've bought in recent years is a piece of crap that breaks immediately. Part of the short life cycle of almost all products now.

I hope the ash-scattering was a good and meaningful experience.

impudent strumpet said...

I actually have a couple of umbrellas that I've had for years, but I don't remember where I bought them and they have no indication of a brand name on them! For most of my life I've bought umbrellas primarily for colour, so I wasn't giving any thought to quality or longevity until my pretty yellow ones kept breaking often enough for me to give up on them.

laura k said...

I used to have umbrellas that lasted for many years. I very rarely lose things, so it was always worth it to buy a quality umbrella. (Apparently umbrellas are something many people lose.) Also for an urban lifestyle, like you have and I used to have, an umbrella that won't fall apart is essential.

Now my umbrellas fall apart almost immediately. If I'm taking transit and I have a substantial walk (i.e. not just from building to car), they are useless.