Saturday, May 24, 2014

Teach me how to keep my sweaters from acting like clutter

In the winter, I most often wear an open-front sweater (cardigan or wrap cardigan) over another shirt.  In the summer, I sometimes wear a smaller, lighter top of a similar style over whatever I'm wearing, just for a tidier look.

When I'm sitting at my desk and feel the need to take my sweater off, I drape it over the back of my chair.  But I don't promptly put it away, because I might get cold and feel the need to put it back on.

I'm not as diligent as I should be about putting the sweaters back in the closet, so I often end up with multiple sweaters hanging on the back of my chair.

Then, with the passage of time and multiple sweaters and lots of getting in and out of the chair, the sweaters start getting pushed off the back of the chair and fall down and get tangled around the chair legs and wheels and mechanism.  I get frustrated by this, pick them all up, and throw them all on the couch. 

So the vast majority of the time, I have a cluttery surfeit of sweaters hanging on my desk chair or piled on my couch.

Putting them away in the closet like I'm supposed to obviously isn't something I can convince myself to do, so I'm looking for better ideas.  Where can I keep my sweaters so I can conveniently take them on and off without them looking like clutter?

Context:  my desk is in my living room, which also contains a couch and TV and general living room stuff. There isn't room for anything beside the desk, because on either side are the doors to my bathroom and bedroom.  I don't really want to keep something right beside my desk chair, because I already have to move my desk chair out of the way to do yoga, so I don't want to introduce another thing to move out of the way.  There currently isn't room for anything else under my desk, although that may change in the future if I ever get around to cleaning and donating my old desktop computers.

The best idea I have right now is a clothes tree, but I don't really like that idea because I'd have to do a lot of rearranging to find room for one, it wouldn't be within convenient reach of the desk chair, and it doesn't seem like it belongs in a living room.

Anyone have any better ideas?

4 comments:

laura k said...

I'm tempted to say there is no alternative to taking five minutes of your life to put your sweaters in your closet. But I do like an organizing challenge, so I'm going to give this more thought. More later.

laura k said...

A clothes tree also wouldn't be so good for sweaters, which (usually) should be folded, rather than hung.

The only things I can think of would take up floor space. Something like Ikea Expedit shelves - an open grid - could be used for sweaters, work-related papers, books, whatever you wanted. The sweaters would stay within reach but look neater. But (obviously) only if you took a moment to fold each sweater and put it on the shelf.

Something like this (scroll down) would be less expensive, and it would prevent things from getting dusty, but wouldn't be as versatile. Also I think it doesn't look as nice for a living room as the Expedit look.

I can't think of anything else that wouldn't take up floor space.

impudent strumpet said...

Hmmm...I'm debating whether I'd be able to convince myself to fold my sweaters.

Maybe what I need instead is some kind of shawl or wrap that lives on the back of my chair, so when I'm cold I just wrap it around me, and when I'm warm I just throw it on the back of the chair and that's okay because that's where it lives.

Except that I wear the sweaters for warmth and fashion purposes when I leave the house, and I don't immediately change my clothes when I come home, so there will still be times when I'm wearing a sweater and sitting at my desk and want to take the sweater off.

Or maybe I could train myself to take the sweater off and lay it on the bed (like I do with uncomfortable pants that I take off when I get home, etc.), which means I'll have to hang it up before I go to bed.

impudent strumpet said...

This is how I solved the problem.