Monday, May 26, 2014

Bad instructions (and dishwasher detergent)

I recently received a sample of dishwasher detergent, and I noticed a problem with the instructions.  A scan of the packaging is below (click to embiggen).  Can you spot the problem?


The answer: step 2 of the instructions is the run the dishwasher.  Step 3 is to check to make sure the items are dishwasher safe.

Shouldn't you check to make sure the items are dishwasher safe before you run the dishwasher??

***

I don't recommend the actual product either. The little detergent pack got stuck in my detergent dispenser and didn't dispense at all, meaning my dishes were still dirty after the cycle ended.  I had to pry it out with a spoon, which punctured the detergent pack and made detergent powder explode everywhere.  So I decided to run the dishwasher again, thinking maybe the detergent exploded everywhere would at least clean the dishes (and, if not, running the machine was easier than cleaning up the stray detergent), but it still didn't clean the dishes.  That's two cycles of water and electricity for nothing!  I eventually had to put my usual liquid detergent in to get the dishes clean.

I've tried a number of different powder packs (they seem to be a popular item to give out free samples of) and I always have similar problems. Powder just can't compete with liquid, and I don't know why they're going through all this trouble to keep trying!

4 comments:

laura k said...

I don't read those instructions as steps. I read them as bullet points. Here are things to do when you use this product.

It would be better in a different order, but I read it as ok the way it is.

Although it sounds like it would be better as a different product!

laura k said...

I didn't know there was liquid dishwasher detergent! I know liquid dish soap for washing dishes by hand, but I didn't know there was liquid for machines. Huh.

We use powdered detergent, but not in packs. You pour it in.

What brand do you use and tell me why is liquid better?

impudent strumpet said...

I use Cascade liquid detergent, and I prefer liquid because sometimes powder detergent doesn't always dissolve and leaves powder behind (usually in a wet clump in a drinking glass or something), which means more work for me.

I use liquid laundry detergent for the same reason.

laura k said...

We use Cascade powder. And I agree, there are issues. I'm going to try the liquid version next time.

I also use liquid laundry detergent.

I think my use of powdered dishwasher detergent is leftover from my youth. After leaving home in the late 1970s, I never had a dishwasher again until I moved to Canada in 2005. I probably bought what was familiar to me from all those years ago. Habits can be very silly.