Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Things They Should Invent: a way to save non-stressed feelings for later

As I've mentioned before, my stress levels have been really low (and quite often zero) since I started working from home.  However, my lease renewal recently came up, which reminded me that in a bit over a year I'm going to be moving into my condo, which is surely going to be stressful - not just from the moving but from the stuff related to the condo purchase, some of which, I'm sure, I haven't anticipated at all.

Despite the fact that, at condo time, I will have had nearly two years of a zero-stress day-to-day, I'll still get stressed then.  It's just not possible to bank non-stress for when I need it.  I can save money for when I need it, I can eat sparingly today so I have room for a good pig-out tomorrow, but stress is Tetris pieces, and no matter how good you are at Tetris, you can't move the bottom of the playing area any lower, even though you know the pieces will start coming too fast to handle when you reach Level 9.

Someone should really come up with a workaround for that.  (Or, barring that, a Tetris cheat that moves the bottom of the playing area lower if you clear lines well enough.)

1 comment:

laura k said...

I know. I wish there were a way!

I do find, though, that having lower stress levels for a significant stretch of time does help me better cope with stress when it arises.

My mind and body are more calm and rested, so I feel better equipped to deal with whatever comes up - as opposed to being subjected to constant or near-constant high stress, so one becomes depleted and burned out.

I'm so glad you're loving working at home! I really miss it. Even though I'm loving my current work.