Friday, October 11, 2013

Beware of calls from 1-877-974-2547 allegedly from RBC

I recently received a phone call from 1-877-974-2547, with the call display saying "RBC".  I bank with RBC, so I answered.  On the other end was a young woman in a very noisy call centre asking me if I wanted to switch to paperless statements.  I've been on paperless statements for years, so this seemed suspicious to me.

So I asked RBC on Twitter, and they replied that it doesn't appear to be an official number:




So beware of any call you get from 1-877-974-2547.  Remember: if you get a questionable call, you can always call the customer service number listed on the bank's website and ask them if there are in fact any problems with your account that require attention.

5 comments:

PDA said...

I also got a call from them at 328pm today 11.27.2013 @ 328pm.

Lovely Niagara said...

Why RBC is not taking steps against this type of phishing.

Anonymous said...

Got a call today from the same number. Tried to report it to RBC but could not find any link on their site. Anyone know how to?

Anonymous said...

yes, the caller using this phone number is not from RBC at all. I too received a spurious call from 1877-974-2547 today at 06.20 pm

Anonymous said...

I too received a call from this number....how scary to think this happens...especially for our vulnerable, such as my mother who is 86 years old.