Thursday, April 04, 2013

Router update

In follow-up to my previous questions about routers, I ended up getting a Linksys N300 for no especially good reasons, and I discovered a few things:

- Nearly all, if not absolutely all, of the routers currently commercially available are wifi-capable
- You can turn off the wifi from the software
- You can also limit the number of users who connect to the router in the software.  The default setting was 50, but I limited it to 2 since I'm only connecting two computers. 

These last two things mitigate my wariness of having a wifi router.  I don't particularly need wifi, so I didn't really want to deal with having to secure an unnecessary wifi network.  But being able to turn it off and to limit the number of users makes me feel more secure.

One thing I haven't figured out: I can change router settings via software by going to a specific 192.*.*.* IP address.  However, this only works on my primary computer (i.e. the one I used to set up the router.  It doesn't work on my secondary computer, even though it's connected to the router too.  Is it supposed to be this way, or should I be able to reach the 192.*.*.* address with my secondary computer too?

4 comments:

laura k said...

I can only access the router's IP address from the computer the router is plugged into. That goes for all my routers - wireless, wireless + Roku, and VoIP.

impudent strumpet said...

Why do you have computers that aren't plugged into your router?

laura k said...

They are too far away, which is the main reason we have routers. Those computers connect to the internet wirelessly.

impudent strumpet said...

Oh, my eyes saw the words "plugged in" and my brain interpreted it as "connected." But yeah, mine are both physically plugged in, but the one still won't go to the 192 page for some reason. Connects to the internet through the router just fine though.