Sunday, September 16, 2012

Solving ethical dilemmas with helpful kitchen tips

I recently had a party and afterward had quite a few large bottles of leftover wine (they were opened and wouldn’t keep). There is a particular corner in my neighborhood where benign “drunkards” hang out and drink. They have done so for years, and everyone accepts this as part of our neighborhood. My question is, Should I drop this mother lode of wine off on their perch for them (because who am I to judge their choices?), or pour it down the drain (which would be a “waste”)?


Solution: pour the wine into ice cube trays and put them in the freezer. Then you can defrost it in easy and manageable portions next time you want wine. If the wine is red and the idea of drinking red wine that has been cold offends your delicate sensibilities, you can use it to make sangria. (Or to cook, of course, but I'd assume that people who are savvy enough to cook with wine would already do so as a solution to leftover wine.)

4 comments:

laura k said...

Does wine freeze? I don't know what the minimum alcohol content is at which a liquid will freeze, but alcohol doesn't freeze.

I wish it did, because I always thought that adding vodka ice cubes to juice would be awesome.

impudent strumpet said...

The internet is basically unanimous that wine freezes, although I've never tried it myself. Alcohol does freeze, it just has a freezing point that's colder than most freezers will get. Google tells me the freezing point of vodka is around -40, so maybe next time we have a hellaciously cold winter day (if we ever do) it will be time for a science experiment.

laura k said...

"Alcohol does freeze, it just has a freezing point that's colder than most freezers will get."

Right, I should have said, you can't freeze alcohol in your home freezer. I guess wine, with higher water content and lower alcohol content, will freeze in a home freezer.

I wonder what it does to the taste and quality of the wine. I will not be finding out. :)

impudent strumpet said...

I won't either. This "leftover wine" phenomenon doesn't exist in my corner of the world.