Monday, May 21, 2012

Why does textspeak still exist?

My cellphone is five years old, and it still has predictive text (T9). Today's phones are equipped with full keyboards and autocorrect, which is even better. These technologies both make it easier to write real words than to write fake words. If you type a real word, it will guess the word for you and you don't even always have to type all the letters. But if you want to type a fake word, you have to teach the device the word.

More and more communications are being typed on phones as opposed to keyboards, which means that more and more communications are being written with a device that makes it easier to type a real word than a fake word.

So what's up with people who still use textspeak for everything?

I know that sometimes you need to shorten things to keep it under 140 characters for platforms like twitter or SMS, but on sites like Failbook or Damn You Autocorrect I keep seeing people who are using textspeak systematically, for everything, even on platforms that don't have a character limit.

Why are they putting in all the extra effort?

3 comments:

laura k said...

I don't know about anyone else, but I like to use txtspk when I'm texting, even though my phone will autocomplete almost everything I'm typing. I like the brevity, it feels like I'm keeping the text light - like it's not an email, it's its own little messagy thing. I'm sure that's very lame.

laura k said...

But I don't use it for anything else - just texts.

impudent strumpet said...

That's interesting. I do things like that when I'm writing with a computer (I always spell n00b with zeros, for example), but I never have the patience to do it on a phone or an ipod because I type so much slower without a full 10-finger keyboard.