Monday, April 23, 2012

How M 3-12 is setting back all of society

The real problem with M 3-12 is encapsulated in this image:




I've recently been working on my primary client's two most important projects of the year.  There are some awkward-to-translate phrases that keep popping up, and I'd really like to reflect and brainstorm on them and come up with something that sounds smooth and idiomatic in English to improve my client's credibility in the eyes of the English-language audience they're trying to convince.

I heard on the radio this morning that Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney thinks the housing market needs to be cooled.  My shower gave me a few ideas that might actually cool the housing market without harming ordinary citizens and would solve some other problems that exist in the Toronto housing market at the same time, and I really want to get that refined and blogged.

I've been reading about various strategies used in schools today to make kids less inclined to bully, and I think some of them might not work and might actually do more harm than good.  I want to sit down and work on explaining my child-self's visceral "That won't work!" using my adult articulateness and post it here so the people with the ability to change anti-bullying programs can google upon it and keep it in mind when refining their programs.

But I don't have the time and mental energy to give to all these things, because I have to give that time and energy to fighting for the same scope of medical care that was available to my mother when she was my age.  My mother!  Who is old enough to collect CPP!

When reading the first few paragraphs of this post, you were probably thinking "So what? That's nothing special.  Everyone has ideas that they want to work on and perfect."

And that's my point exactly.

Everyone has a few ideas in their head that they want to work on.  Most people probably have more than I do, since I'm so far on the introvert side of the scale.  We think about these ideas, let them fester, brainstorm, journal, talk them over, try things out, and eventually arrive at something that's new or innovative or an improvement on the status quo or otherwise helps make our little corner of the world better.  That's how society progresses.

But now that we suddenly have to put all this time and energy and effort into a tedious rehashing of what was settled a generation ago, we have less time and energy and effort to put into the new and improved and innovative.  And this is slows down the progress we make as a society.

Simple demographics show that the majority of Canadians are potentially affected by or care about whether abortion is available when needed.  Even if you are one of the few who isn't affected and doesn't care, you can still see how it will slow us down to have so many people have to drop everything and focus on the old and redundant.

 With some regularity, the news reports that Canada has to improve its productivity and innovation.  How can we be expected to do this when those in power keep forcing us to rehash the same old thing?  This is detrimental to everyone, regardless if they'll ever need to end a pregnancy.

3 comments:

laura k said...

But now that we suddenly have to put all this time and energy and effort into a tedious rehashing of what was settled a generation ago

Everything in this post is true, but it's not sudden, nor limited to abortion. But perhaps that is my experience coming from the US. Or as an activist, or both.

People who try to impose their values on others will never go away, and once they get a toehold in government, we continually have to fight to hang on to our rights.

impudent strumpet said...

The "suddenly" refers to this "Hey, I know, let's have a philosophical debate instead of doing the work of Parliament!" motion. I don't even think using Parliament to debate abstract concepts is a normal thing - at least I've never heard of it happening before.

In any case, the people who try to impose their values don't usually go around trying to undo decades-old progress. This whole thing is like if somehow there developed a political movement to get rid of parental leave. And they tried to make it happen by tying up Parliament to debate "What exactly is a family?" or something.

laura k said...

I see what you mean. My experience with US wingnuts has warped my judgment.