Tuesday, February 21, 2012

On Gary Webster

I am sickened and disgusted and terrified by the firing of Gary Webster, and I am so absolutely livid that this is being done in my name.

In addition to being an insult to Mr. Webster, the TTC, the people of Toronto, and basic good sense, this disgraceful behaviour is a slap in the face of the hundreds of thousands of Torontonians who came here specifically to flee this kind of corruption.

On top of that, this raises the very important question of what kind of person would be willing to replace him under these working conditions? When the previous incumbent was fired for refusing to falsify a business case, do we have any chance of getting a competent or ethical replacement?

I sincerely hope Mr. Webster wins millions and millions of dollars that the city can't afford in a massive wrongful dismissal suit. Even if he doesn't need the money, I hope he wins on principle.

If I were a lawyer, I would be volunteering to represent him pro bono.

If I owned a business, I'd be wracking my brains to figure out how to hire him for more than he made at the TTC.

Things They Should Invent: consulting firm staffed entirely by former senior civil servants driven out of their jobs for doing their jobs. (Gary Webster, Linda Keen, Richard Colvin, Munir Sheikh, etc.)

I've never donated money to a political campaign. I dislike the fact that you cannot donate anonymously. More than once I've googled someone and their political donations have come up on the first page of results, and I don't like the idea of a prospective employer or client or someone else with whom my relationship would be purely professional and apolitical having access to that information.

But my visceral reaction here, for the first time in my life, was that I want to donate as much money as possible to whomever has the best chance of beating out the people responsible for firing Mr. Webster in the next election.

In the meantime, there's a petition to get them removed from the TTC Board.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is no different than the previous two TTC GM's that were pushed out by Mayors Lastman and Miller respectively. Also do some homework on the number of senior City of Toronto managers who were either shown the door or who left before they were under Miller.Bottom line, this is business as usual.

impudent strumpet said...

Doesn't negate the fact that it's not acceptable.

CQ said...

Do I stand alone in Toronto?
http://classicquarters.blogspot.com/2012/02/shame-on-ttc-commissioners.html

Seriously, I've read only of 1000s of comments each praising upon this man's stewardship of the TTC. What exactly has the TTC done right in the past decade and a half? I didn't even mention the deaths of run-over'd passengers or charged drunk or on dope employees.

impudent strumpet said...

This isn't about the state of the TTC. I'm not even getting as far as thinking about the state of the TTC. This is about firing a non-partisan public servant without just cause because he didn't fudge quantitative data for political purposes, and doing so at greater expense than keeping him on.

laura k said...

"Doesn't negate the fact that it's not acceptable."

The comment from anonymous assumes (I think) that your issue is a partisan one. Rather than ordering you to "do some homework", anonymous might do some homework on your blog. He would learn that you're interested in justice, not party politics.