Saturday, January 07, 2012

Problems with Bluefire Reader

I switched to Bluefire Reader in November, when the upgrade to iOS 5 killed Stanza. Most of the time it works, but sometimes it will just cease to be able to read a certain file. Sometimes this presents as, when I search through the file, the spinner will spin and spin and it will never find anything or stop searching. Sometimes it presents as, after I switch to another app then go back to Bluefire, it will show me the library instead of the page I left it on and then spin and spin when I try to open the book I was reading. On the "info" page, the current page for these books shows up as page 1 instead of whatever page I was actually on.

Every file that this has happened with has been a DRM-free epub. It's happened with three separate files out of a total of somewhere between 10 and 20 files.

Following the instructions for when a spinner won't go away listed on this page doesn't help. Deleting the book from my ipod and then putting it back on doesn't solve the problem. Converting the book to PDF and then back to epub does make it openable by Bluefire again, but it messes with the formatting so it's not as easy to read. (Converting them just to PDF also works, but makes them even harder to read.) I can't find any way to look at the back end of either Bluefire or the epub files either through my ipod or through my computer.

I haven't been able to google up any evidence of anyone else on the internet having this problem, so I'm blogging it. If you google your way here and are also having this problem, I encourage you to post your findings in the comments. (Anonymous comments welcome.)

Fortunately, Stanza has since updated for iOS 5, so I'm back to using it. It should be noted that Stanza is able to open and search the epub files that made Bluefire freeze and crash, so the problem lies in something Stanza can do that Bluefire can't.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Could you please post what version of the app you are using and what version of iOS, and device info? Also, we'd love to test with the files you are having issues with and since they are DRM perhaps you could send them to info-at-bluefirereader.com?
Thanks,
Micah (Cofounder of Bluefire)

impudent strumpet said...

I've sent my specs and a file to test, but I'm adding them here for googleability.

Device: 3rd generation ipod touch
iOS: 5.0.1
Bluefire version: 1.6

Unknown said...

Thanks for the test data. Sorry for the late reply, been crazy busy around Bluefire lately. Working hard.

Sarah Haddox said...

I am having trouble as well, new iphone 5 and all other books work, except one that i have from library. the loan is still good for two weeks but the program says it is not...i have deleted it and reinstalled and redownloaded the book from the library and nothing works.