Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Garbage chute poll

Please answer in the comments: which side of the building is your garbage chute on? I welcome multiple answers if you can remember from previous buildings you've lived in as well.

This question came up when I was taking out the garbage today and started pondering why the garbage chute is always on the east side. And I came up with a really good explanation too: the prevailing winds are from the west, so having the chute on the east reduces the incidence of that annoying phenomenon where the wind whistles up the garbage chute.

Then I realized that I don't actually know if the chute is always on the east. I've only lived in two buildings with garbage chutes, both of which had a north-south main hallway. In my old building, the service/freight driveway that garbage trucks would have to use was on the east side of the building (and could not have been positioned any other way. In my current building, it's actually on the west side and there's a bit of a convoluted system to get the garbage from the garbage room to the truck area.

So I'm trying to figure out whether I've spotted a pattern or this is just a coincidence. Please contribute your data points.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My building's trash chute is on the north side, next to the elevators. I can not tell you how many times I have wanted to gouge my ear drums out due to the damn wind up the chute whistle! Oddly, it ONLY happens in the winter, which makes me wonder if maybe some sort of flap freezes open, or if some aspect of the heating/ventilation comes thru there... My unlce lives in a condo and his trash chute in on the east side....

laura k said...

My last apartment in NYC was next to the chute. It was on the east side of the building.

laura k said...

A strange thing is going on as I post these comments.

I'm at work, where normally I can read blogs but can't comment. Hitting the comment function brings up the firm's site-blocking app.

Now it's letting me write a comment, then when I hit "publish your comment", I get the block. I hit back - more blocking - then refresh - and the blog comes back, with the comment posted.