Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Where has all the fruit punch gone?

Normally, I drink water during the day and with meals. However, I'm currently nursing a sore throat (likely viral), so I find myself wanting juice.

Citrus juices are on my no list for GERD, so I decided I'd drink fruit punch. At home I just mixed up a jug of Minute Maid fruit punch from concentrate (which has been my default juice since childhood), and at work I figured I'd just buy a couple of single-serving bottles of the same stuff or its Fruitopia equivalent.

But they don't sell it anywhere. Cafeteria, food court, drugstores, convenience stores, the juice aisle in the grocery store - no one has single-serving bottles of fruit punch, or in fact any non-citrus non-cranberry fruit juice.

They sell orange juice, lemonade, cranberry juice (which I'm not terribly fond of and, at least in the forms being sold in single-serving bottles, does not have significant amounts of vitamin C), and a bunch of sports drinks and vitamin water concoctions.

But I don't want fortified flavoured water when I'm sick, I want actual fruit juice! The sweetness is what soothes my throat and makes it go down easier than water.

Last time I was sick in a way that made me want juice, you could get a few different kinds of Fruitopia everywhere. Now you can't. It seems to have all been replaced with vitamin water. I already have vitamins and water in my arsenal, what I need is juice. But, somehow, it's been discontinued.

7 comments:

karin said...

not discontinued, but definitely not a big seller at my stores.

also, check the label for the Vitamin C in cranberry juice -- tropicana has something like 200% of your daily recommended intake in one of those bottles. their grape juice is full of it too! (not a tropicana pusher, i'm just often sick and get sick of orange juice)

CQ said...

I miss grapefruit juice. The real stuff, not concentrated or punched with added sugar.

laura k said...

Imp Strump, do you mean juice blends? To me "punch" means lots of added sugar and artificial flavours, a la "Hawaiian Punch".

If you're looking for juice blends, Dole makes several varieties, sold in cartons. There's one called Paradise Blend that is punch-esque, among others.

I miss grapefruit juice. The real stuff, not concentrated or punched with added sugar.

Still available - but hard to find. Tropicana is the only brand I know. I love it, so tart and thirst-quenching.

I don't drink anything with added sugar, so I know about this quest. :)

Anonymous said...

I see bottle of 'juice' at stores near both my home and work- usually at variety stores. If I recall correctly they're minute maid brand. I routinely get the apple juice so I know that one is still out there and I swear I have seen grape next to it and a red fuit punch- which is what I think you're after. I do however agree that there is a LOT of this vitamin water stuff out there!

impudent strumpet said...

@karin: I didn't realize tropicana sold things other than orange juice. Maybe I'll have to read the actual labels next time.

@laura: I don't care particularly about the sugar content or if it's a blend or not. I'm looking for something that tastes reasonably like juice, is high in vitamin C, is not citrus, and is readily available in single-serving bottles in convenient locations. For my entire life up to this virus, the yummiest options that filled that bill tended to be labelled "fruit punch".

@Anon: In the places where I've looked, the red minute maid is cranberry and isn't high in vitamin C. I'd be very happy if that's just what I'm seeing and the fruit punch is still out there though.

Anonymous said...

After this whole thread I just had to go out there and check on the punch situation.

Sure enough all the variety stores- even the Macs- sold juice, and yes, even fruit punch. A few of the small mom and pop stores sold both Minute Maid and some other Fairlee or something in glass bottles.

Take heed dear strumpet, the punch has not died..

laura k said...

Given your response, you might want to try these Dole juice blends. I find them super yummy and they're loaded with C. Tropicana makes a nearly identical product.