Sunday, March 13, 2011

Teach me how to edit my blog template

This template I'm using is several years old, but I haven't been able to find a newer one I like. (Recommendations are welcome in the comments.) In the meantime, I'd like to make the centre column (the beige/tan bit where all the actual content is) wider, ideally a percentage of the browser width rather than fixed pixel width to accommodate a variety of resolutions.

If this is within your skill set, could you have a look at my source code and see which values I need to change?

I've already been playing around with the template code and edited anything that looks promising, but it all made matters worse. Ideas?

3 comments:

laura k said...

The new Blogger templates have a design setting to adjust the column width. It might be easier to choose one of those than to adjust the one you're using (although I don't know).

I'm pretty sure all the new templates have this functionality, but I know Simple (which I use for wmtc) and Picture Window (the one Allan uses for Joy of Sox) both do.

laura k said...

Or maybe you can make a dummy blog with a new template, adjust the column width, determine what code was changed, then use that in your current template. I've taught myself a bit of CSS that way.

impudent strumpet said...

You can do that with the preview function in the template editor, and I've already been playing with it. But everything that looks like it should adjust the centre column width just makes something else wonky instead. (Which is odd - I was certain I could actually read CSS!)