Monday, November 15, 2010

Spooky dream

Last night I dreamed that I was going to meet my mother and grandmother somewhere, but first had to pick something up at her house. As I looked through her kitchen for the macguffin, I accidentally hit something on her gas stove (IRL it's an ordinary, old-fashioned gas stove, but in the dream it was a multi-layered, wall-sized, pipe-organ-like affair). It started spurting flames and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Everything button I pressed and knob I turned just caused more flame to come out.

Then I noticed my grandfather standing behind me. He walked up to the stove and turned it off for me.

My grandfather has been dead for 10 years.

That was the first time in my life I have ever, to my knowledge, had a dead person turn up in a dream. I don't know what it means.

3 comments:

laura k said...

I don't know what it means.

Maybe that your grandfather was in your subconscious mind and he came out in your dream. Or that the association with your grandmother led to your grandfather.

Do you think something more mysterious?

impudent strumpet said...

I have known people who have died, I have dreamed of being in dead relatives' houses before, but I've never had the dead relative turn up. It just...felt meaningful.

I don't think I've ever dreamed of being surrounded by fire that wasn't hell either. (Dreamed of hell all the time back when I was catholic.) I've never been close to large fire IRL.

laura k said...

Ah, felt meaningful. Interesting.

Wow, you dreamt of fires of hell! That is wild (to me). Great example of how religious upbringing can fuck with our minds.