Thursday, November 18, 2010

More information please: why does the law care how many cars are in a driveway in the first place?

Recently in the news, someone got a ticket for parking in her own driveway. Apparently there's a by-law that if you have a single garage, you're only allowed to park one car in your driveway.

What I really want to know, but isn't mentioned anywhere in this article: how did such a thing come to be law in the first place?

The only hint in the article:

The restrictions are meant to reduce clutter in residential neighbourhoods, but city officials have said bylaw officers won’t actively seek out offenders.


So it sounds like someone thinks it's a problem when there are numerous cars in people's driveways. And because it's a law, it sounds like either enough people complained loudly enough about similar things or powerful enough people exerted enough influence to make this become a law. In any case, a critical mass of people seem to be looking at their neighbour's driveway and being bothered enough by the sight of multiple cars to take action.

I literally cannot imagine any circumstances under which I might care how many cars are parked in my neighbour's driveway. I cannot fathom any way that it might possibly affect me badly enough to want to get changes made to laws.

So how on earth did this all come about in the first place?

4 comments:

CQ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CQ said...

What gets me is the long standing everywhere by-law about No Parking on a driveway IF across the sidewalk? Every home for the past 40 years it seems has an "unusable" portion of about 12ft thanks to the median lawn & sidewalk design.
In old neighbourhoods, the sidewalks are directly against the roadway. BTW, I grew up without neighbourhood sidewalks at all in a semi-upscale area - with driveways /front lawns long enough for two or three cars end-to-end.

laura k said...

Wow, this is truly weird. I have no idea why such a law would exist or why anyone would care to enforce it. All the houses in my nabe have single-car garages, and most have 2 cars parked in the driveway. I don't know if it's a bylaw here. If it is, most people would be shocked to hear it.

impudent strumpet said...

I doubt Mississauga would stand for it, or even think of it. But then, I can't imagine why Toronto would even think of it either.