Sunday, September 12, 2010

Things They Should Invent: teach the words for advanced emotions as vocabulary words in elementary school

When I was in maybe Grade 6, in a class they called "Guidance" (which was basically an ineffective attempt to help us through the torments of adolescence) they taught us to use "I feel..." statements. "When you [X], I feel [Y], because [Z]". Of course, the problem was that if we'd ever actually used those statements, our peers would have laughed at us for using a formula we'd been taught in Guidance. But beyond that, the problem was that in situations where I wanted to scream and throw things and hit people, I didn't know the words for the emotions I was feeling. I wasn't feeling "happy" or "sad" or "angry", I was feeling "belittled" or "hypocritical" or "futile" or "objectified" or "helpless" or "condescended to" or "dehumanized".

The solution: introduce these words for more complex emotions in elementary school. They could be spelling words, they could be words that occur in books read in class, they could be vocabulary words. Then when people grow into adolescence and have more complex emotions, they'll be able to articulate what they're feeling when necessary.

No comments: