Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Things They Should Invent: sanitary recycle/reuse of partially-used toiletries

The clutter in my apartment includes half-full bottles of drugstore shampoo from before I went no cone, and sticks of deodorant that I've used only a few times before discovering that they don't work well with my fussy body chemistry.

In the aftermath of the Wellesley fire, the list of needed items included shampoo and deodorant.

Obviously, it would be a grave insult to give the Wellesley fire evacuees my half-empty, partially-used toiletries. That would be arrogant and demeaning and condescending and undignifying.

But the question remains: what can I do with them? I'm never going to use them myself because they make things worse, so basically they'll eventually end up in the garbage at some point. But, at the same time, there are plenty of people - some of whom might even be reading this - who could (objectively speaking and if you eliminated the "Eww, gross, used toiletries!" factor) make perfectly good use of half a bottle of herbal essences or a twice-used stick of deo. They only make things worse for me because of things that are particular to my body chemistry; they'd work perfectly well for plenty of other people.

So what they need to invent is a way to collect partially-used toiletries, sanitize them beyond reproach, and redistribute them (possibly repackaging them too) to people in need. It will unclutter our bathroom cupboards, help people in need, and help save the environment. Win-win-win!

5 comments:

laura k said...

I've thought of this too. I hate when I try a new product, it doesn't work, and I have to throw out a nearly-full container of anything. This makes me very reluctant to ever try a new brand of anything.

But how to get past the hygiene/squick factor? Some kind of neutral container that you could transfer the stuff into?

Btw, what is "no cone"? You've probably blogged about it and it fell through my swiss-cheese brain.

karinf said...

You can always use shampoo to hand wash your bras, clean the sink or whatever, if you don't want to use it in your hair. Or just keep it for house guests to use, although that bottle could clutter up your bathroom for years depending on how many house guests you have.

impudent strumpet said...

L-girl: In hair geek parlance, cone = silicone. So no cone products are products that have no silicone (or petroleum derivatives etc.) in them. Turns out these things exacerbate the natural oiliness and lankness of my hair, and I have more lift and life in my hair since I've cut them out. I doubt I've blogged about it before though, because I find it tedious when other people proselytize about their high-maintenance hair regimens so I'm trying to avoid doing that myself.

karinf: Good idea, but the problem is that I already have other and better things with which to clean bras and sinks as well.

laura k said...

I'm glad I didn't miss it.

How do I find out if products are cone-free? What should I look for in the ingreeds list?

I'm afraid to look, since I like my hair products. But tell me anyway.

impudent strumpet said...

The internet tells me that anything ending in -one is silicone, but I don't have enough chemistry knowledge to confirm that independently.

I should add that some people find silicones helpful and no cone unhelpful. No cone is what's right for my hair, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone's hair.