Friday, September 24, 2010

Journalism wanted: contextualize the G20 expenses

Recently in the news: many many dollars were spent at the G20 for many random things.

All the news reports I've seen simply mention large numbers of dollars and the things they were spent on. But what does it actually mean?

For example, they say that $300,000 was spent on sunscreen and insect repellent. Notwithstanding my firm and abiding belief that any undertaking requiring insect repellent should be relocated to somewhere that doesn't require insect repellent, how reasonable an amount is that? How many people was it intended to equip? How much sunscreen and insect repellent did they allocate per person? Is that a reasonable amount to allocate per person? Is that a reasonable amount to spend for that quantity of sunscreen and insect repellent? How much would it go for retail? How much would it go for wholesale/bulk? What SPF did they get? How much DEET did they get?

That would be informative. The dollar amounts without context are practically useless. If I wanted to clutch my pearls because an amount greater than my own net worth was spent on supplies and logistics for a large-scale international event, I'd read the Toronto Sun. Do better, legitimate media!

1 comment:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Good point, but I treat insects as part of a balanced diet rather than creatures to be repelled.