Saturday, August 21, 2010

Slice of life

Summer, 10 years ago. My bedroom was right under the roof. My fast food shift started early in the morning and ended early in the afternoon. I'd come home, tired from being on my feet all day, smelling of grease, just in time for the afternoon thunderstorm. (Convective weather was like clockwork that year.) I'd change out of my smelly clothes, lie down on top of my comforter and wrap it around me like a cocoon, and let the sound of the rain beating down on the roof lull me to sleep. Somehow, these conditions made for the most interesting dreams.

I work a regular schedule now, at a computer, in an office, sitting down. I make more in a day now than I did in a week then, and my life is way easier and less stressful. I wouldn't go back then for anything. But, on rainy days like today, I miss my afternoon naps.

1 comment:

laura k said...

I wouldn't go back then for anything. But, on rainy days like today, I miss my afternoon naps.

I occasionally have a moment like that for a similar childhood memory. Like you, I wouldn't go back to that time for anything. But still, I become momentarily wistful. It's poignant, kind of nice.