Thursday, July 29, 2010

Kids Today and their baggy pants

Train of thought arose from this story, where a judge threw out a summons that a police officer issued to a guy wearing saggy pants.

I first encountered that look in some of my classmates when I was in grade 7, which would have been 1992. My middle school wasn't exactly on the cutting edge of fashion, so I'd assume the style originated at least in 1990, if not earlier. That's 20 years ago! If, as is the case with most trends, some of the early adopter were in their early 20s, then there would now be early adopters of this trend who are now in their 40s, and quite likely still wearing their pants low because it never entirely went out of style.

The style is 20 years old and the early adopters are in their 40s. So why are people still clutching their pearls about it?

3 comments:

Ollie Ollie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura k said...

I guess because it's associated with hip-hop. Which, as you know, is the work of the devil.

impudent strumpet said...

Which, too, is decades old. It's if in the 1980s the establishment was saying "Kids today, with their miniskirts and their rock and roll!"