Sunday, April 18, 2010

More information please: what else do pharmacists do?

If I am understanding the pharmacies' position correctly, dispensing fees are necessary to cover the cost of dispensing the drugs, and professional allowances are necessary to cover the cost of the pharmacists providing advice and assistance to patients. As it happens, these are the only two things I (and I'd assume many ordinary customers) have ever seen pharmacists doing.

In every job I've ever had and every workplace I've ever worked, the act of getting the product from the back room into the customer's hands, and the act of answering any general questions from customers/clients about the products and services we provide, have been an integral - and often marginal - part of the job. This was budgeted for as part of the cost of running a business. Whoever was on duty just did it. Even now, when my job doesn't officially involve dealing with clients at all, I still answer any question my clients might have about my team's translations, and the employer just swallows the lost translation time. It's part of the job, and rather marginal in terms of expense or time investment. In cases where it isn't a marginal time investment, front-line staff are hired for that specific purpose.

So what I'm seeing from my position as an ordinary customer who has never worked in a pharmacy is that they charge a separate fee for what looks like the majority of their job, and they get money that looks very much like kick-backs from suppliers for what looks like the rest of their job, and they're talking about these only two duties I ever see them doing as though they're huge extra pricey impositions.

If the pharmacies want to get me onside, they're going to have to explain to me what else it is that pharmacists do that the only things I ever see them do are actually extras. They're going to have to explain to me why their business model doesn't automatically incorporate the only tasks I ever see pharmacists do, and why these tasks are so very pricey to deliver when everywhere I ever work they've been marginal.

1 comment:

laura k said...

Yes. Totally. 100%.