Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wherein I become one of those boring people who talk about muscles

1. My previous miracle fitness discovery was to put the newspaper on the floor and read it while I do push-ups. I've made another discovery: bustle around all evening getting things done and finally get everything done and get into your pyjamas and you're about to go to bed and then remember that you haven't done your pushups for the day yet and have an argument with yourself ("But I'm in my jammies and my bed is so comfy!" "But I've been making progress and don't want to lose momentum now!") and then put a book on the floor (because you've read the newspapers already) and decide to just get the fucker over with real quick so you can go to bed without guilt.

My personal best set - of the day and of my lifetime - was 23 in a row. (Despite all this, my arms still look the same and I haven't noticed any improved strength or anything IRL.)

2. There's this Tide commercial where this overly-perky lady gets way too enthusiastic about washing the tablecloth. I always noticed that she has mad crazy arm muscles, moreso than you usually see on TV commercial actresses, and seems to be dressed to show them off. I thought this was interesting because to have arm muscles like that she'd have to put in mad crazy gym time, which would peg her this really driven goal-oriented GO GO GO type of person, which is entirely consistent with the character. So I thought it was really clever casting to find an actress for whom these minor details of her physique epitomized the character, even though it's just for 30-second detergent commercial.

Then I found out that it isn't some anonymous actress from central casting in the commercial, it's Kelly Ripa, who was cast because she's a celebrity (apparently she's on some talk show or something with this other chap who's been in one or two other things?), not because her look perfectly epitomizes the character.

No comments: