Friday, February 22, 2008

Icy Hot patches

Icy Hot patches are my new best friend! I love them! You know how in like Grade 2 if you say you love something, the other kids will say "Do you want to marry them?" Well I want to marry them!

I woke up yesterday morning with this muscle I didn't even know I have (across the top of my chest and the front of my shoulder) really really stiff. Like it hurt to lift my arm far enough to wash my hair. (Yes, on top of strep throat and a broken washing machine and getting splashed by a car and getting my day off rescinded and having to work overtime). Yoga didn't help, a hot shower complete with shower massage function didn't help, a heating pad didn't help, and advil didn't help. I was debating with myself whether it needed heat or whether I should put ice on it, because it felt muscly but the heat didn't help, then I remembered seeing these Icy Hot things advertised and thinking hey, best of both worlds. So I picked some up at the drugstore on the way to work and put one on in the bathroom.

Instant relief. The discomfort disappeared, the muscle loosened, and I had my full range of motion back within minutes.

I kept it on for the two hours set out in the instructions. I wanted to keep it on for longer because it felt so good, but figured I should try following the instructions first. And guess what? After I took it off, the stiffness didn't return! It's been fine ever since! I don't know how they work, but it's a miracle!

They smell a bit mentholy and don't really get hot (I'd call them Icy/Less Icy) but they don't leave any gunk on your skin when you take them off, don't hurt your clothes, and they WORK! They're a bit expensive though - $10ish for a pack of only five patches - but I haven't had to do anything to my shoulder since so I guess they're worth it.

1 comment:

laura k said...

Wow. These things are better than advil plus heating pad? I guess I should try them.